Alchemists are the magical medieval cooks of ancient traditions who transformed metal into gold and silver.
But for many of us, the book, The Alchemist, has literally transformed our lives and inspired us to stay true to our destiny.
It’s written by the Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho, who has sold 65 million copies of this book. Pharell loves this book. Madonna loves this book. Julia Roberts. Oprah. Will Smith and countless other famous and not so famous people.
This is the story of Santiago, the Andalucian shepherd boy, who is inspired by omens, gypsies and wise men to leave his sheep in Spain and go a journey to find his life’s treasure.
In the pursuit of his dreams, Santiago has a strong message to each and everyone of us on achieving our own destinies.
The book is a quick read that will inspire you to pursue your life’s purpose. If you haven’t read it, pick it up here.
In the meantime, here are 15 Life Changing Quotes from The Alchemist to help you do what you were meant to do here on earth. Each quote is followed by a brief explanation.
1. “A shepherd always takes his chances with wolves and with drought, and that’s what makes a shepherd’s life exciting.”
If you don’t take chances and take risks, you won’t be able to reap the awards of the opportunities that come your way. Sometimes, you have to take risks and overcome your fears to follow your dreams.
2. “(That’s the world’s greatest lie.) It’s this: that a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate.”
You can choose your destiny. You have a choice on how your life is going to turn out. The future is in your hands. Even when things get out of control, you can shape your destiny.
3. “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
When you pursuing your purpose and your destiny, the universe will do its part to support you and to help you succeed. Circumstances will fall in place and in your favor to help you achieve your destiny.
4. “People learn, early in their lives, what is their reason for being,” said the old man, with a certain bitterness. “Maybe that’s why they give up on it so early too. But that’s the way it is.”
Keep your dreams alive. Don’t sacrifice the thing that matters most in your life – staying true to your purpose.
5. “In order to find the treasure, you will have to follow the omens. God has prepared a path for everyone to follow. You just have to read the omens that he left for you.”
You will have signs that will lead you along the way – let them guide you on your path. Follow the signs and guide posts along the journey. Pay attention to messages that the universe is sending you.
6. “And above all, don’t forget to follow your destiny through to its conclusion.”
Don’t give up half way – keep going!
7. “He could always go back to being a shepherd. He could always become a crystal salesman again. Maybe the world had other hidden treasures, but he had a dream, and he had met with a king. That doesn’t happen to just anyone!”
If you have a dream, you’re obligated to pursue it. You have been given a gift of a dream – don’t let it slip through your hands. If you fail, you can go back to whatever you were doing before.
8. “If I could, I’d write a huge encyclopedia just about the words luck and coincidence. It’s with those words that the universal language is written,” the Englishman said.
The universe sends us messages through luck and coincidences –pay attention to them.
9. “Everything on earth is being continuously transformed, because the earth is alive…and it has a soul. We are part of that soul, so we rarely recognize that it is working for us.”
You are being guided by the earth which shares the same soul that you do. See how the earth is working in your favor.
10. “When I have been truly searching for my treasure, I’ve discovered things along the way that I never would have said had I not the courage to try things that seemed impossible for a shepherd to achieve.”
When you’re following your dreams and on your path, you’ll find the courage to do things you wouldn’t have otherwise done.
11. “It is said that the darkest hour of the night came just before the dawn,” (the boy remembered).
Your most difficult time will be right before you reach your destination. Keep going when it is darkest.
12. “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow” (the Alchemist said)
Be more aware of your intuition and you inner voice. When you listen to your heart, you’re less likely to listen to your fears.
13. “But the payment goes well beyond my generosity,” the monk responded. “Don’t say that again. Life might be listening, and give you less the next time.”
You’ll get what you ask from the world. Ask for your heart’s desires – don’t shortchange yourself.
14. “Where your treasure is, there will also be your heart,” the alchemist had told him.
Your heart will lead you to your destination – listen to your heart because that’s where you’ll find your riches.
15. “It’s true; life really is generous to those who pursue their destiny the boy thought.”
The people who overcome their fears and go after what they were meant to do will find abundance and success in their lives.